The Gapper Baserunning Drill teaches players the proper technique for rounding first and second base.
Players should line up at home plate. The coach should get set up in the first base coach’s box.
- Players are going to run around first base as if they hit a double.
- Emphasize running around first base by having the players run at an angle towards the first base coach. Rounding first base gives players a good angle to second base.
- Players should lean their left shoulder to the infield and touch the inside corner of first base with their foot when rounding it.
- Runners will round first and continue running to second base.
- For even more practice, have players pretend they hit a triple. Payers will run from first base to third base. Each runner should touch the inside corner of second base and continue running to third also rounding second base the same as first. Players should pick signals up their third base coach 2/3 of the way to third, see Third Base Coach Signal for instructions.