The soft toss drill gives players a chance to practice at-bat as if it were in a game. Each player will get one-on-one time with a coach to correct any issues they may be having while hitting.
Players will be using correct bat grip, batting stance, full plate coverage, and proper swinging for this drill.
- Divide the team up into three groups of four players each.
- Each group will partner up with a coach so that each coach has four players.
- The groups and their coaches can go to their separate stations. One group will be hitting at home, another at the right field foul pole, and the last group should be at the left field foul pole. All the groups will be hitting balls towards center field.
- Each group of four will line up. The first player will be up to bat.
- For safety, players need to be wearing batting helmets.
- The coach will kneel on the opposite side of the batter’s stance.
- Each coach is going to soft toss balls to the batter.
- Each player will hit three balls and then rotate until every player has hit a total of nine balls.
Coaching Tips: Players should be going up to bat as if this were in a real game. Make sure players are using the proper grip, stance, coverage, and swing.