The Scarecrow Pitching Drill is a good drill for working the lower body through stride and separation.
The player will get into a wide stance. The arms and elbows come up and the player should resemble a scarecrow.
- Nice and slow, shift the weight into the back leg while lifting the front leg.
- Bring the front leg back down and tap the ground.
- Repeat weight shifts back and front foot tap two times.
- After the third weight shift to the back leg, the player should take a wide stride with separation and throw the ball.
- Complete the move by finishing out the pitch.
The chin should remain centered over the core for this move. The player should keep their head still while throwing. Holding balance at the end of the throw is a good way to learn how stay behind the pitch.