The relay drill teaches players how to correctly throw the ball from the outfield to the base using a relay man.
For this drill, players need to use a four-seam grip, two-hand target, and the five steps of throwing.
- Divide the team up into four groups of three.
- Each group of three is going to be standing in the outfield in a straight line.
- Players should be standing between 25 to 55 feet apart from each other. The distance can be adjusted based on the skill level of the players.
- To being, a baseball should be placed on the ground in the outfield nearest the farthest player.
- The farthest outfielder is going to pick up the ball and deliver it to the relay man making sure to use a 4-seam grip and the 5 steps of throwing.
- The relay man should receive the ball and relay it to the baseman.
- The baseman receives the ball and quickly delivers it back to the relay man.
- The relay man receives the ball and relays it back to the outfielder.
- The outfielder receives the ball and places it back on the ground.
- Repeat the sequence up to 15 times to complete the drill.
Coaching Tips: Make sure players are throwing using proper form. Once players get the hang of doing the relay drill, they should focus on improving their speed and throwing accuracy.