The 4x4x4 Drill/Game simulates a real game using a coach as a pitcher. For this drill, players can practice hitting and position play at the same time.
All the baseball game situation fundamentals are going to be used in this drill. Additionally, players can practice catching and team communication.
- Split the team up into three groups of four players each.
- Group one will be playing offense.
- Group two will be set up in the infield.
- Group three will be playing in the outfield.
- A coach should pitch to the players.
- Each team has one inning to hit (three outs or five runs).
- When team one has three outs or five runs, the teams rotate (group one to the outfield, group two to bat, and group three to the infield).
- The game is played as if it were a live game. Each team should try to get outs and runs.
- Continue the rotation until each team has had at least two or three at-bats.
Coaching Tips: Focus on good plays and use positive reinforcement to correct mistakes. Make sure all the players have a chance to try out different positions in the field.